The Rock ‘n Roll USA half marathon is coming up quickly – just about 2 weeks away! The only formal training program I’ve ever done has been for the Richmond Marathon, and even that required a lot of modification due to injuries, etc. I did well last year in the half marathon but would like to PR this year. I’m not sure that’s going to be possible with my one run a week schedule. I’ve been doing a lot of cross training and yoga, and trying to run 1-2 times per week. Last year when I had a gym membership, I ran A LOT more.
So I upped it this past week. Maybe a little too late but it felt good to get some more runs in. Our condo building has just recently gotten a new (high quality) treadmill. I really dislike cold weather running so this treadmill was a pleasant surprise!
Saturday, February 22 – 7.67 miles at 8:08 pace outside (60 degrees in DC! Felt great to wear shorts and a t-shirt!).
Two treadmill runs during the week – 6 miles each; one interval training run
Mike and I ran this past Sunday, March 2 before the snow storm hit DC and polar vortex arrived again. We got our 10 miles in just in time!
The high in DC was in the 50s, so a t-shirt and light-weight arm warmers were perfect for a 10-mile run. You might notice I’m wearing my new Nathan hydration vest! This was the second time I wore it and love it. Stay tuned for a review but, I have to admit, it’s so nice to not be carrying a water bottle for long runs! I LOVE the vest so much but want to try it out a bit more to be able to write a thorough review.
We ran to Arlington National Cemetery and back, looping through the Yards Park to get our mileage up to 10.
Random notes from the run:
– I had my first Accel gel since the marathon (mile 5). It brought back a lot of marathon and marathon training memories!
– My stomach really hurt for the last mile of the run. I took an Imodium as soon as we got home and I didn’t have as many post-run stomach issues. If this helped and was more than just luck, then Imodium will be with me at every race.
– I think it took about 15 minutes for my Garmin to find my location before we could start the run. I’m surprised that it sometimes takes this long! Kind of annoying.
– I discovered this Hemp bar at Whole Foods a couple of weeks ago – Ever Bar. Free samples get me every time. I tried this before the run 2 weeks ago and it was delicious. A little dense (not in a bad way) so I only had half before the run. This is a local company from Maryland but you can order bars from their website! I enjoyed the not-very-sweet flavor and the great texture of the bar itself. Try it out!
– I’m experimenting with different pre-run foods. This past Sunday I tried 1 egg and a thick slice of sour dough bread (so delicious – love any excuse to add carbs to my diet). I felt full of energy during the run (although needed that Accel gel at mile 5) with not the usual stomach issues. It’s nice to have real food sometimes rather than just a bar, especially if the run is later in the morning.
– New iPod shuffle songs: Let it Go by Idina Menzel from Frozen, The Wire by HAIM, Come to Me by the Goo Goo Dolls, Best I Ever Had by Gavin DeGraw. Knowing I have new songs to listen to on my shuffle, really helps to motivate me to get out and run! It’s sometimes the smallest things.
This week I’m shooting for 2 runs on the treadmill in our condo building, a long run next Sunday in Florida and 2 shorter runs that week before the half marathon. In addition to running, I’ll try to get in yoga and some cross training, like curling for example. Review coming soon on Mike and my curling experience! It’s harder than it looks.