Growing up in upstate NY, I never really understood vests for cold weather. It was always just too cold to even have a vest as an option (at least for me!). Now living in North Carolina, I realize the importance of a vest for winter days when you don’t want or need the bulk of a jacket. A vest seems to be a key wardrobe staple for this area.
I’ve been on a quest for a vest. After trying out a few including a cute polka dot one from Loft, I couldn’t get the fit right. They were either too short, too puffy, too shiny, too expensive, too sporty, too down smelling or too furry. I had to return the cute polka dot Loft vest because the fit was just off. Feeling the pressure of end-of-season vest scarcity and the desire to maximize my winter 2015 vest wearing, I decided to check out Lululemon.
Since Lululemon isn’t known for their deals, I often think about purchases for weeks and months on end. I think it took me about 4 months to decide on the Groove Pants, which I now wear more than any other item of clothing I own – worth the investment! As soon as I walked in, I knew I found my vest, but after looking at the price, I didn’t even try it on. After going home and thinking about it, I drove back to Lululemon the next week with the intention of buying it, using some of my leftover gift card balance.
I can’t say enough good things about the Fluffed Up Vest. I bought it mainly for everyday, casual wear but it’s actually made for running. When I first tried it on at the store, I noticed that the snug fit and longer length lead to a much more flattering puffy vest look. It’s not bulky at all but that doesn’t mean it’s not warm.
The first time I wore the vest was actually for running! I wore it to Runologie’s first run club when it was about 20 degrees out. The vest kept me incredibly warm for the 5 mile run at a comfortable pace. I think it’d be too hot to wear for any longer or for a significant distance in any warmer temperatures. I appreciated the longer length (called “cover your bum” extra length) and the high collar to keep my neck warm.
Other cool features of the vest:
– Love the Alberta Lake color – it’s an attractive deep blue/green color that would complement many outfits.
– It’s machine washable – just hang to dry. A Lululemon employee suggested fluffing it in the dryer for a few minutes.
– The double front zipper allows for either a snug and cozy or looser fit with added reflectivity.
– There’s a pocket inside a pocket that holds an phone perfectly, preventing it from bouncing in your pocket while running.
– I’m not a big fan of the smell of down and this coat, filled with PrimaLoft and goose down, has no smell whatsoever.
Overall, a great vest for both casual wear and running. Although not cheap at $138, this vest is versatile, high quality and extremely warm.