I’ve missed this route! When we lived in DC, we could run from our condo building along the National Mall to the Lincoln Memorial and back for a perfect 6-mile route. While in DC last weekend, my brother Matt and I ran the usual Mall route (Mike was unfortunately sick).
Besides the wonderful memories that come flooding back when I run this route, the National Mall is a perfect place to run for many other reasons:
– soft surface breaks up running on concrete sidewalks
– water fountains
– sprinklers to run through
– great people watching
– energizing to be surrounded by so many people (many of them runners!)
– always something going on from festivals to walks/runs to kickball tournaments to filming
– flat, except for Capitol Hill
– and of course, the awe-inspiring Memorials and Monuments
Being back in DC and running on the Mall made me nostalgic for marathon training. Mike and I are taking this fall off from running a marathon, deciding to run a couple of half marathons and shorter distance races instead. Between being in DC reminiscing and getting a notification from WordPress of my two year blog anniversary, I went back to re-read my blog posts from July 2013 and July 2014.
One of my main reasons for starting this blog in 2013 was to chronicle training for my first marathon with my husband and brother. It’s so nice to have our running-related memories captured and rewarding to see how far we’ve all come in just two years.